Re: filesize of EPS is too large, how to reduce it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82028] Re: [mg81821] filesize of EPS is too large, how to reduce it?
  • From: "Igor C. Antonio" <igora at wolf-ram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 04:20:22 -0400 (EDT)

ROBERTO wrote:
> I make contourplots and then export them with
> Export["/home/file.eps",%]
> This give me very large EPS, i.e. if PlotPoints is set to 200 I get a
> 5MB EPS. I tried to convert the EPS or reduce it with tools available in
> linux, imagemagick, eps2eps, ghostscript but the visual quality of the
> result is crap.
> I imagine there is a way to produce compressed EPS exploiting Postscrit
> Level 2 specifications or there's a "standard" path to follow to go from
>  ContourPlot to an journal-submittable-size EPS (less than 100Kb)
>
> How can I get a EPS file less than 100K for a ContourPlot with
> PlotPoints->200 ???
>
> Thanks you all.
> Roberto

Roberto,

You haven't provided an example, so my suggestions may or may not apply.

There are some options available through the File > Save Selection As > EPS menu
that are not available through Export[] in Mathematica 6.0 (this has been
address in the next version of Mathematica).

Please take a look at the options described in this post:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/msg/6b0387ea4f8732d4

from this newgroup thread:
version 6 Plot3D exporting results in HUGE files
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/a669fd00915cbbf5/6b0387ea4f8732d4?#

Try them out and see if they help.

Also, please note that PlotPoints->200 in V6 is not the same as PlotPoints->200
in V5.X due to automatic adaptive sampling
(http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin6/content/HighImpactAdaptiveVisualization/).
It might be the case that you can decrease the number of points and still get
satisfying graphics.

Thanks,

Igor C. Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.
http://www.wolfram.com

To email me personally, remove the dash.