Maximum file size

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82094] Maximum file size
  • From: Aranthon <a.dwarf at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 02:50:25 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to analyze the results of a long calculation (5500 time
steps of a finite difference calc on a 90 x 90 x 21 mesh).  The data
are in an external file, but when I even try to read part of it,
Mathematica seems to take one look and curl up into the fetal
position:

In[24]:=
fid = OpenRead[saveFilename, BinaryFormat -> True]
BinaryRead[fid, "Real32"]
Close[fid]

Out[24]= InputStream["video1_100407-c.solv", 35]

Out[25]= EndOfFile

Out[26]= "video1_100407-c.solv"

I know the file is good because I can still get at it using other
tools.  Most likely I'll throw together an external program that will
take the filename and re-write a subset of the data to a new,
temporary file.

So my question is - does anyone know if there's a maximum size beyond
which Mathematica will not even attempt to read from a file?  Given my
results, I suspect the answer is "yes," so does anyone know what that
limit is?  If the answer is actually "no," then I'd be very interested
in knowing what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Greg