Re: Options in ListContourPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82102] Re: [mg82069] Options in ListContourPlot
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 02:54:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 22:19:25 olalla wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I really need somebody to explain to me how the ListContourPlot
> command works.
> I mean, when I use it, the resulting plot has the same colour in the
> region where the scalar field is maximum as in the region where the
> field in minimum.
> So the question is:
> when I have an array of values representing the value of a field at a
> point what does ListContourPlot exactly does?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Olalla
>
> Bilbao, UPV/EHU

Hi, Olalla,

    I suspect you're using a version of Mathematica prior to 6, because 6 uses
a default ColorFunction which colors the levels differently for the minimum
and maximum. In previous versions (at least in 5), the default color function
was "Hue", which has the dubious advantage of being periodic in the visible
color range.

   You can change the ColorFunction for your plot by trying something like:

ListContourPlot[<your list>, ColorFunction -> (Hue[0.73*(1 - #)] &)]

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10