Re: How Import data from Excel and make a list of numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82163] Re: How Import data from Excel and make a list of numbers
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 04:01:11 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/12/07 at 2:57 AM, dinodeblasio at gmail.com wrote:

>How I can import in Mathematica 6 data from Excel? More in details,
>how i can trasform a list of numbers present in one excel columns->
>to one list of numbers in Mathematica 6 in the form:

>{1,2,3,4,5,........}

You import Excel files with

data = Import[filename, "XLS"];

Assuming there is one Excel worksheet, you can get a specific
column by doing

col = data[[All,n]] where n is the column number. Or you could
combine these into one line by doing

col = Import[[filename][[All,n]];

Note, this assumes all rows in that worksheet have at least n
columns. That is if the worksheet has the form

comment
blank row
blank row

a1  a2  a3  ...
b1  b2  b3  ...

you will get an error doing

Import[filename,"XLS"][[All,3]]

since the first few rows have fewer than three columns. In this
case, getting the third column of the data array could be done using

col = Cases[Import[filename,"XLS"],_?(Length>3#)][[All,3]]

Of course, if you didn't create the Excel file and don't have
something that will display the structure of the file, you have
no way to know what that structure will be. What I do in those
cases is simply

data = Import[filename, "XLS"];

then use commands like Dimension, Depth, Length etc to determine
the structure. Once that is know, it is a simple matter to
extract a particular column using Part, Span etc.