Re: Options in ListContourPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82174] Re: Options in ListContourPlot
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 06:05:45 -0400 (EDT)

Curtis Osterhoudt wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2007 22:19:25 olalla wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I really need somebody to explain to me how the ListContourPlot
>> command works.
>> I mean, when I use it, the resulting plot has the same colour in the
>> region where the scalar field is maximum as in the region where the
>> field in minimum.
>> So the question is:
>> when I have an array of values representing the value of a field at a
>> point what does ListContourPlot exactly does?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Olalla
>>
>> Bilbao, UPV/EHU
>
> Hi, Olalla,
>
>     I suspect you're using a version of Mathematica prior to 6, because 6 uses
> a default ColorFunction which colors the levels differently for the minimum
> and maximum. In previous versions (at least in 5), the default color function
> was "Hue", which has the dubious advantage of being periodic in the visible
> color range.

This was my first thought too, but in version 5 the default is
GrayLevel, not Hue:
http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/Built-inFunctions/GraphicsAndSound/ContourPlots/FurtherExamples/ListContourPlot.html

More precisely it is "Automatic", but it always gives GrayLevel for me.

In[2]:= ColorFunction/.Options[ListContourPlot]
Out[2]= Automatic

--
Szabolcs