format mixed integers & floats with text styling (see )

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82189] format mixed integers & floats with text styling (see [mg51433] )
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 06:13:28 -0400 (EDT)

Two years ago in [mg51433] I posed this problem of formatting a table
column having a mixture of integers and approximate numbers in such a
way that the decimal point on the floats would be vertically aligned
with the implied decimal on the integers.

For example, here's the data for the table:

    statNames = {"N", "Max", "Min", "Mean", "Std.dev.", "Median"};
    statNumbers = {40, 103, 2, 56.8, 22.5, 59};

The object was to combine these into a properly formatted table starting
from:

    (* original table *)
    TableForm[Transpose[{statNames,statNumbers}]]

A good solution was proposed by Valeri Astanoff (sorry, I don't have the
message reference number):

   pad[x_Integer]:=PaddedForm[x,3];
   pad[x_Real]:=PaddedForm[x,4];

   (* aligned table *)
   TableForm[Transpose[{statNames, pad /@ statNumbers}]]

Now I need to complicate the problem by putting everything in a
non-default font, by using, e.g.,

   fmtTxt[txt_]:=Style[txt, FontFamily -> "Arial",FontSize->12]

so that the TableForm expression is changed to:

   (* formatted table *)
   TableForm[Transpose[{fmtTxt/@statNames, fmtTxt/@ pad /@ statNumbers}]]

Unfortunately, this now breaks the nice vertical alignment.  How can the
alignment of "aligned table" be restored but still use such text formatting?

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305