Re: mathematica on macbook... hangs on 5-4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87277] Re: mathematica on macbook... hangs on 5-4
  • From: "D. Grady" <D.C.Grady at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 06:43:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 4, 2:58 am, Reb <rimbalz... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed Mathematica 6.0.2.0 onto a macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core
> 2 Duo running OS X 10.5.2 (2GB of ram). The program (as the version
> 6.0.0) hangs in evaluating even the simplest cells such as addition
> 2+2. It just hangs for minutes without giving any message. Mathematica
> 10.5.2 works fine... I have noticed that if I run it as admin it gives
> me these problems while if I run it as ROOT user it doesn't.
> Suggestions?

I have what sounds like a similar problem on my Mac (Mathematica
6.0.0, Mac OS 10.5.2).  After I launch Mathematica, the first
expression I evaluate can take a long time (comparatively- I don't
think it's ever been longer than one minute).  I've found that if I
manually launch the kernel before evaluating any expressions, this
delay is eliminated.  For some reason, letting the kernel launch
automatically with the first expression I evaluate takes much longer
than launching the kernel manually, and then evaluating the first
expression.  I have no idea why this is.  If you find that manually
launching the kernel solves your problem, there is a way to set up the
kernel to launch automatically whenever you start Mathematica- look in
Evaluation>Kernel Configuration Options...  Sorry I can't give a
better explanation!

-Daniel