Re: mathematica on macbook... hangs on 5-4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87275] Re: mathematica on macbook... hangs on 5-4
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 06:43:24 -0400 (EDT)

Reb wrote:

> I have installed Mathematica 6.0.2.0 onto a macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core
> 2 Duo running OS X 10.5.2 (2GB of ram). The program (as the version
> 6.0.0) hangs in evaluating even the simplest cells such as addition
> 2+2. It just hangs for minutes without giving any message. Mathematica
> 10.5.2 works fine... I have noticed that if I run it as admin it gives
> me these problems while if I run it as ROOT user it doesn't.
> Suggestions?

I am not 100% sure that the following procedure will solve your problem;
but, since what you describe is apparently related to some file
protection messed up (you should never have to be logged as a ROOT user
to run Mathematica!), I would suggest to check the file security first.

Start the program "Disk Utility" (located in "Applications" ->
"Utilities"), select the hard drive where Mathematica has been
installed, then run "Verify Disk Permissions." If any errors have been
detected during this process, the next step is to run "Repair Disk
Permissions." Hopefully, "Disk Utility" will be able to correct all of them.

Note that is would be a good idea to have a check on the disk and file
system structures (run "Verify Disk", and "Repair Disk" if needed).

HTH,
-- Jean-Marc