Re: Re: mathematica on macbook... hangs on 5-4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87297] Re: [mg87277] Re: mathematica on macbook... hangs on 5-4
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 05:15:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 06:43:46 -0400 (EDT), D. Grady wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2:58 am, Reb <rimbalz... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have installed Mathematica 6.0.2.0 onto a macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core
>> 2 Duo running OS X 10.5.2 (2GB of ram). The program (as the version
>> 6.0.0) hangs in evaluating even the simplest cells such as addition
>> 2+2. It just hangs for minutes without giving any message. Mathematica
>> 10.5.2 works fine... I have noticed that if I run it as admin it gives
>> me these problems while if I run it as ROOT user it doesn't.
>> Suggestions?
>>
> I have what sounds like a similar problem on my Mac (Mathematica
> 6.0.0, Mac OS 10.5.2).  After I launch Mathematica, the first
> expression I evaluate can take a long time (comparatively- I don't
> think it's ever been longer than one minute).  I've found that if I
> manually launch the kernel before evaluating any expressions, this
> delay is eliminated.  For some reason, letting the kernel launch
> automatically with the first expression I evaluate takes much longer
> than launching the kernel manually, and then evaluating the first
> expression.  I have no idea why this is.  If you find that manually
> launching the kernel solves your problem, there is a way to set up the
> kernel to launch automatically whenever you start Mathematica- look in
> Evaluation>Kernel Configuration Options...  Sorry I can't give a
> better explanation!
>
> -Daniel

Note that, by default, the Local kernel automatically launches on startup in
version 6.  However, if you used version 5 (or older versions) of Mathematica
and you added custom kernels, it's possible for the version 5 settings to
override the change we made to automatically launch the kernel on startup.

I wouldn't expect, however, the kernel launch to take more than 10 seconds (and
probably much less) unless your hardware is underpowered by today's standards,
or unless your computer is simultaneously bogged down with other tasks.

Concerning the original problem, I agree with David Reiss' post.  I can't
immediately identify the problem, but this is exactly the kind of thing Wolfram
Technical Support should be able to help with.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group