Re: JLink Problem, Fixed More or Less

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87489] Re: JLink Problem, Fixed More or Less
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:48:36 -0400 (EDT)

Helen Read wrote:
> Several months ago I reported a problem with Jlink that has become
> rampant on University-owned and home computers since approximately
> December or January. Basically what happens is that some / most of the
> time when launching Mathematica, Mathematica will hang, and eventually
> pops up an error about failing to connect to Jlink. Usually you can
> ignore the message and go on, but sometimes worse things happen unless
> you restart Mathematica. We have also had problems with Mathematica
> hanging when trying to open up the Documentation Center (though I think
> the Documentation Center issue may be a bit better with the 6.0.2 release).
>
> We never saw the Jlink problem until we began switching machines from
> Norton Antivirus to NOD32 in December/January, at which time the problem
> became rampant, even on quite speedy new machines. We were hightly
> suspicious that the problem was related to NOD32, but WRI Tech Support
> never was able to tell us what the issue was or how to fix it, and
> several people from WRI assured us that NOD32 was not the culprit.
>
> Well finally, the whole thing had become so aggravating that we tried
> temporarily disabling NOD32 on a few test machines. What we found was
> that the problem stopped when NOD32 was disabled, and returned when
> NOD32 was turned  back on. We then tried adding the Mathematica
> installation directory to the NOD32 exclusions, which seems to fix the
> problem.
>
> All's well that ends well I guess, and I suppose we should have trusted
> our own instincts about NOD32 and tested it ourselves far sooner than this.

Great - I am glad that issue is resolved - anti virus software is
inevitably very invasive because of the problem it is meant to combat.
Many years ago, the company for which I worked received reports that one
of our programs contained a virus. After a great deal of hassle, it
turned out that the anti-virus software in question had tested just
three bytes at the start of one file, and deduced that it had an infection!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk