Re: exporting to multiple sheets in XLS format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87511] Re: exporting to multiple sheets in XLS format
  • From: Januk <ggroup at sarj.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 06:56:05 -0400 (EDT)

In version 6.0.2 (I don't know about earlier), you can fake the
appending of new sheets onto an old workbook.  Unfortunately this
method destroys any formatting or formulas you may have in your
original file, but hopefully it will give you a starting point.
Please post if you find/create a better solution.

------- Begin Example -------
XLAppend[oldfile_, newfile_, newdata_] :=
 Module[{sheets, olddata, completedata},

  sheets = Import[oldfile, "Sheets"];
  olddata = {#, Import[oldfile, {"Sheets", #}]} & /@ sheets;

  completedata = Join[olddata, newdata];
  Export[newfile, Rule @@@ completedata]
  ]

tmp = RandomReal[{1,10}, {5,10}];

XLAppend["Old File.xls", "New File.xls", {{"Random Numbers", tmp}}]

------- End Example --------

Hope that helps,
Januk