Re: Import .xlsx files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87645] Re: Import .xlsx files
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 05:48:09 -0400 (EDT)

> I don't understand what it is you are trying to achieve here.
> Like you, I also bounce from Macs (my perferred machine) to
> Windows based machines. But I don't see what this has to do with
> getting data in or out of Excel.

I mention the Mac only because it keeps me from using MathLink for
Excel (a third party product for Windows only) as my solution.  The
point that I am getting to is that I am aware of (and am already
using) the workarounds, but would prefer to work directly with Import.

> You indicate an awareness Excel isn't a good data exchange
> format. So, why use Excel at all? Mathematica is a far superior
> tool for any kind scientific or technical analysis I can think
> of than Excel.
I agree.  This is why I want to get the data out of Excel and into
Mathematica for analysis.  I am working in an office environment and
often receive files in a format not of my choosing.