bar charts, frame ticks, and error bars

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87653] bar charts, frame ticks, and error bars
  • From: dantimatter <google at dantimatter.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 05:49:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

I've found a number of posts that deal with either using frames with
bar charts or error bars with bar charts, but I've been having
difficulty implementing those previous suggestions when it comes to a
bar chart showing multiple sets of data.  Take for example the
following:

BarChart[{{10, 20, 30, 40}, {5, 15, 25, 35}},
 Frame -> {True, True, None, None},
 FrameTicks -> {{{1, "A"}, {2, "B"}, {3, "C"}, {4, "D"}}, Automatic,
   None, None}]

The problem with the result is that the ticks show up under the first
bar of each set, when I would hope that the ticks would be at the
center of each set.  I haven't even tried to use error bars yet.  Does
anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?  And maybe, how
to implement a plot legend with these multiple set bar charts?

Many thanks,
Dan