Re: Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87964] Re: Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]?
  • From: Alexey Popkov <popkov at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:27:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 20, 7:54 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> I've just executed a test cell containing
>
>    Print[Plot[---]];
>    Print["Some text\n", Plot[---]];
>
> (same simple plot in both lines; objective of 2nd line being to get the
> text and the plot -- eventually several plots -- into the same output
> cell)
>
> Result from first line is expected plot; result from second line is a
> miniaturized plot about 1/4 the size of the first one.
>
> *  This is sensible or useful?
>
> *  This is what a novice user should expect as consistent
>     and reasonable behavior from the above commands?
>
>     (Print[Plot] doesn't do the same thing with a given Plot
>     as does Print[----, Plot[], ----] ???)
>
> *  This is documented --or better, warned about -- where?
>
>     (since it looks like I'll have to, once again, step aside from
>       attempting to accomplish anything useful with 6.0 and
>      burn up more time digging into its arcane documentation,
>      trying to understand this.  Apologies for the sarcasm --
>      but that's the way it feels.)

I am agree absolutely. And the solution is not so obvious as one can
expect. To change this behavour you need to modify the option
ImageSize inside Plot[] command. This option specifies the width of
the image in pixels when only one numerical argument is passed:
plot = Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 6 Pi}, ImageSize -> 300];
And you can not control the size of the image with Graphics[Plot[],
ImageSize -> 300]. This does not work.

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=6184854&tstart=15