Re: Player Pro and Packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87993] Re: Player Pro and Packages
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:36:42 -0400 (EDT)

In article <fuhr0n$rir$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com> wrote:

>  From the Adobe Developer Connection website:
>
> "The PDF specification was first published when Adobe Acrobat was
> introduced in 1993. Since then, updated versions of the PDF Reference
> have been made available from Adobe via the Web. A significant number of
> developers and systems integrators offer customized enhancements and
> extensions to Adobe's core family of products. Adobe publishes the PDF
> specification to foster the creation of an ecosystem around the PDF
> format. The PDF Reference provides a description of the Portable
> Document Format and is intended for application developers wishing to
> develop applications that create PDF files directly, as well as read or
> modify PDF document content."
>
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html
>
> (Note that this is why open source as well as non-Adobe commercial
> software can legally read and create, and even add goodies to, PDF
> files. To name a few: OpenOffice, PDFCreator, Mac OS X, ...)

Thanks much for this.  Seems to me that Wolfram, and those thinking of
Mathematica notebooks as a widespread publication or communication
format, should seriously ponder the middle sentence

   "Adobe publishes the PDF specification to foster the creation of an
   ecosystem around the PDF format."

--- an ecosystem, note, which does not directly require anyone, authors
OR readers, to purchase any Adobe products.