RE: Re: Player Pro and Packages

Of course my comment was a bit sarcastic. Seriously.
What I meant was that it is very difficult to protect and claim ownership
for clear text file formats, like the Mathematica notebook format or the PDF
format. Evidently the Adobe people have understood that for their case. I
feel it a bit illogical to have a high price for the notebook editing part
(Mathematica) and a low part for the calculation engine (Player Pro), since
the notebook editing part to me seems as the simpler part. And I feel a bit
concerned: of course I would also prefer a Mathematica "free for all", but
at the same time I would like the Wolfram people well paid and working,
improving their product further.
Hopefully Wolfram finds some new business concept to make the money roll in.
Maybe they could sell Mathematica as engine for more specialized products?
There are some indications that they are thinking this way. Then they would
benefit from having as many Mathematica developers as possible in the
community of Mathematica users. Maybe it is up to us Mathematica enthusiasts
to show the world why we are enthusiastic to create resources to make
Mathematica free.

Ingolf Dahl