Re: Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88108] Re: Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 05:27:16 -0400 (EDT)

In article <fupm41$s4n$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
wrote:

> There are a *lot* of extremely useful things "New in 6.0" that are very
> much worth the effort to learn.

Yes, I totally agree.

So, could you please point me to the well-organized, well-written,
well-illustrated introduction to (repeat: "Introduction to", not
"Detailed Reference Documentation for") the most important and useful of
these new things (and the ones most changed since 5.n),

--that I can order for $20 or $30 from amazon (a very small fraction of
the cost of Mathematica itself) (although something that, with more
savvy software developers, comes in the box with the product itself)

--and  can read in the evening, or on my next plane trip, or in the
dentist's waiting room, or during a particularly dull meeting

--and can thereby get an _overview_ --- a _roadmap_ -- a _preview_ ---
of these useful new things, to let me know what I need to dig into
further to meet my particular, specific needs as a user (and which of
these I won't immediately need and can ignore).

What?  You want me to go to the Mathematica Documentation Center?
Several _hundred_ tersely labeled clickable links just on the initial
page?  Each of which leads, not to a simple introduction, but to a
complex formal documentation page with multiple further links to click?
And all of which can only be read and navigated _on screen_?

You and I, I'm afraid, just think differently.