Re: Enable multicore calculation ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88182] Re: [mg88128] Enable multicore calculation ?
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 04:59:57 -0400 (EDT)

You need to get the personal grid edition to make use of all the cores.

I had the same problem with my 4 core G5 Mac Pro (since retired).

I believe that Mathematica uses one core for the front end and one for
the kernel by default. On a two core system, or even a 4 course
system, that is usually sufficient, since one usually has other
processes running. However, with an 8 core system, you should look
into the personal grid edition to maximize throughput.

george