Re: 2*m^z - m^z = ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88174] Re: 2*m^z - m^z = ?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 04:58:27 -0400 (EDT)

I never wrote that all computer algebra systems have exactly the same
particular problem. I only wrote that they all use canonical forms of
expressions and such problems occur (see any book on symbolic
algebra). There are likely to be such problems in other algebra system
although of course not exactly the same one. This particular problem
could have been avoided by a different choice of canonical forms. It
probably was caused by an oversight but may be bow difficult to fix
because quite likely many other simplifications depend on these
particular reductions.

You seem to take everything in a very literal sense...

Demanding "comments" from Wolfram Research on this forum is not likely
to lead to a success. Participation in the MathGroup by Wolfram staff
is purely voluntary and unofficial and they respond to posts only if
they happen to read them and like to respond to them. Writing that
"comments are expected" and such stuff, is, in my opinion, likely to
make them less inclined to do so.

If you need technical support or believe you have found a bug, write
to Wolfram's Technical Support, not to the MathGroup.

Andrzej Kozlowski