Re: Re: Re: Re: When is a List not a List?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91006] Re: [mg90987] Re: [mg90973] Re: [mg90956] Re: [mg90947] When is a List not a List?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 05:32:21 -0400 (EDT)

I don't see why you think your message was "ridiculed". If you refer
to the remark:

> To quote from a related thread:
>
> "You and I, I'm afraid, just think differently." ;-)

I was only quoting your principal ally's remark to another user on the
same matter and, in my case, it was of course a joke. As for the rest,
I argued that, to me,  the Wolfram manual was a boring book to read as
are all software manual? That happens to be true and I can't see why
this is supposed to constitute a ridicule of anyone. I also added that
I found Wolfram's book a useful online reference.

In any case, I am sure all of this is besides the point as far as
WOlfram is concerned. Wolfram Research Inc. is not a charitable
institution; if it thinks something is going to be profitable it will
do so. A new printed manual would be huge and costly (much more so if
it has to be mailed oversees) so the question is how many people will
buy it and how much they are going to be willing to pay for it. My own
personal answer is that the maximum price I would pay for such a thing
is negative. I also have not noticed any visible groundswell of
enthusiasm on this issue on this forum. I am sure if you and
sufficiently many others wrote to WRI directly, promising to buy such
a book at whatever it may cost, they would at least consider
publishing it. Short of that, I think, you, and I think two or three
others who have expressed a similar view, are just wasting your time.

Andrzej Kozlowski