Re: Recognize vector expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91020] Re: Recognize vector expression
  • From: Fred Klingener <jfklingener at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 03:20:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 2, 1:31 pm, "Ramiro dell'Erba" <delle... at casaccia.enea.it>
wrote:
> Dear Mathematica friends,
> I have the following problem. Working in tensorial algebra I
> wondering if exist a package of rules able to a "clever" managing of
> the vector components. As example able to recognize that {-b3c2+b2c3,
> b3c1+b1c3, -b2c1+b1c2} is Cross[b,c] and many others to a better
> lecture of long expression. A simple rule, just for this, is not
> enough, I need a package the contain all!

So far, I've fumbled along, making up replacement rules for symbolic
expressions like cross, the triple products, and some quaternion
forms. They're ad hoc, some require special forms of definitions, and
they have to be explicitly applied. They work, but they are not
satisfactory, and none are what I would call ready to be packaged.

Should we start writing function paclets?

Cheers,
Fred Klingener