Re: Using \[Breve] as a substitute for underscore

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91038] Re: Using \[Breve] as a substitute for underscore
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 03:24:17 -0400 (EDT)

Steven Siew wrote:
> In mathematica you cannot use underscore _  as part of a variable name
> as you could in other computer languages.
>
> Has anyone tried using \[Breve] as an underscore substitute instead.
>
> for example:
>
> mass\[Breve]of\[Breve]earth = 5.97*^24
>
> or
>
> mass[esc]bv[esc]of[esc]bv[esc]earth = 5.97*^24
>
> I kinda like "breve" because it looks like the standard underscore
> character.
>
> What other characters do other people uses?
>
> Steven Siew

I also use \[Breve] extensively for this purpose in my Super Widget
Package, and in other code I have written for my clients. I think it is
a shame that underscore got used for patterns, and since I also write
some Java and C code, I regularly forget and create 'variables'
containing underscores.

Unfortunately, the breve character does not paste well into
non-mathematica UNICODE environments because it would seem that it is a
diacritic character.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk