Re: Exported PDFs are too big in file size.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91124] Re: Exported PDFs are too big in file size.
  • From: Karen Bindash <KarenBindash at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 04:37:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 1, 8:04 am, Mahn-Soo Choi <mahnsoo.c... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I usually export Mathematica plots to PDF format.  I don't like bitmap
> formats.
>
> The problem is the file size.  Most of the 3D graphics on Mathematica 6
> are exported to PDF files as large as several megabytes
> (even several tens MB sometimes).
>
> For example, this simple 3D graphics
>
> ContourPlot3D[
>  Exp[-(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)/2], {x, 0, 2}, {y, 0, 2}, {z, 0, 2},
>  Mesh -> None]
>
> generates a PDF as large as 3.7 MB!!
>
> With Mathematica 5, the file size was reasonable.
>
> Is there something I'm missing with Mathematica 6?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> mahn-soo

I have found one partial solution. I say partial as it shrinks the PDF
to about 2/3 the size, which is still much larger than people achieve
with Adobe's software.

1) Export as an EPS file - this makes a massive 18 GB file for the
above example
2) Use the tool ps2pdf which uses Ghostscript.

I would add, this was done on Mathematica 6.0.2 on a machine running
Solaris x86, on an Intel CPU. This involved the modifications (posted
on here some time back) to run on an Intel CPU. However, I very much
doubt this would change the result. But running ps2pdf on Windows
Linux or Mac might well give differerate results.