Re: Multidimensional FITS files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91136] Re: Multidimensional FITS files
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 04:39:28 -0400 (EDT)

yves.grosdidier at gmail.com wrote:

> I have forgotten to let you know my config: 6.0.2.0, WinXP SP2

Yves,

You should submit a bug report -- if you have not already done so -- to
support at wolfram.com about the specific error you got. (It appears that
the errors we get respectively might not be related)

I myself submitted a bug report about the error on my system (64-bit
Intel Mac OS X Leopard 1.5.4 Mathematica 6.0.3). Here is an extract of
last email I got from WRI:

"I was able to reproduce both errors; the first error I believe is due
to a corrupted download. If I attempt to download the file by clicking
on the floppy disk icon under the Download NOW table heading, I cannot
unzip the archive, no matter what archive utility I use on either Mac or
Linux. However, by selecting the checkbox next to the file and clicking
"Request Marked Datasets" I am then able to download an uncorrupted
version of the file.

Then I am able to reproduce the second error that you receive; in this
case, I believe the problem is occurring because of the size of the file
that you are trying to import; a FITS file that is ~600 MB will take up
about 4 times as much memory space when imported into Mathematica, and
Mathematica will have a lot of problems when attempting to deal with a
file that requires that kind of space. I am able to import smaller FITS
files with no difficulty."

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc