Re: Solving complex equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91213] Re: [mg91157] Solving complex equations
  • From: "Maris Ozols" <marozols at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 07:48:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

1. Rewrite your equations in the form "something == 0".
2. Then use Re and Im to get real and imaginary parts of the left hand side.
3. Use ComplexExpand to let Mathematica know that you are dealing with
real variables.

On your example it looks like this:
a + b I + c + d I - (3 + 4 I)
ComplexExpand[{Re[%] == 0, Im[%] == 0}]