Re: debugging code that contains compile

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91303] Re: debugging code that contains compile
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:00:34 -0400 (EDT)

Benjamin Hell wrote:

> I have some code where I define some functions using compile to speed them up. Code runs fine without compile, but when using compile I get some errors. So what I wanna do now is of course analyze where these errors come from. Unfortunately Mathematica Frontend just tells me the kind of error and what variables are involved. Due to my code being pretty large, it's no easy task to figure out where these errors in deed appear.

<snip>

By "errors", do you mean you get any error messages of the form

   CompiledFunction::error_code:error_text

For instance,

   CompiledFunction::cfsa: Argument 1+u at position 1 should be a \
   machine-size real number.

   CompiledFunction::cfn: Numerical error encountered at instruction 2; \
   proceeding with uncompiled evaluation.

 From my experience, the most current kinds of error that people
encounter when compiling some working-as-expected-before-compilation
code are:

. wrong expectations about Compile: not every function is compilable and
successfully compiled code does not systematically translate as speed
improvement

. wrong format for input variables and/or output results returned by
intermediate calls

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc