Re: Another Out of Memory Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91327] Re: Another Out of Memory Problem
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:56:00 -0400 (EDT)

Kevin J. McCann wrote:
> I can do the following:
>
> Integrate[Cos[2*x]*
>       Exp[I*z*Cos[x]],
>     {x, -Pi, Pi}]
>

> which produces a Bessel function answer; however if I change the
> argument in the cosine to 2.5 as in:
>
> Integrate[Cos[2.5*x]*
>       Exp[I*z*Cos[x]],
>     {x, -Pi, Pi}]
>
> I almost immediately get this:
>
> No more memory available.
> Mathematica kernel has shut down.
> Try quitting other applications and then retry.
>
> Any ideas why? I am running XP with 2Gb of memory.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

This seems to fail for any decimal coefficient - not just 2.5. It is
obviously a bug, and should be reported to Wolfram.

Some bugs - either in user code, or within Mathematica - manifest
themselves as a never ending loop of some sort that uses up whatever
memory is available. Even if you were to run the calculation with 100 Gb
of memory (i.e. using a 64-bit machine) you would almost certainly see
the same result, but it would take a little longer while it consumed the
extra memory!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk