Re: Player Pro Usage

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91369] Re: Player Pro Usage
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 03:38:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 17, 6:38 am, Donald DuBois <don... at comcast.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience using PlayerPro
> for distributing Mathematica Package applications?

Yes, some quite significant applications distributed through my
consulting business.

> I am especially interested in the following issues:
>
> (1) Does encryption work well to keep the source
> code confidential - from being viewed by the user
> of the application?

Encryption is done using Mathematica's function Encode.  Though this
creates a .m file that is not directly human readable, unless you take
other measures the function definitions that result from loading those
files will still be readable by using Mathematica's Information
function (as wellas the equivalent ?? command).  There still are ways
to hide the material from users, but this involves setting attributes
like ReadRprotected and Locked.  These however are not foolproof and a
variety of tricks are still needed to preserve the full functionality
of your functions when you use these.

Aside from this, you need to remember that anything that your
application writes to disk that you then want to subsequently access
from disk using Get or Needs will need to have been saved using
Encode.

> (2) Are there any limitations to the functionality
> of packages that can be used with PlayPro?  Specifically,
> do front end dynamic capabilities like Manipulate sliders, Input Fields e=
tc. work with PlayPro?

Yes, all work in my experience and I have used them extensively....

I hope that this helps...
--David
A WorkLife FrameWork
E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's Reach...
Trial Version at:
http://scientificarts.com/worklife/