Re: Fastest way to check inequality

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91380] Re: [mg91361] Fastest way to check inequality
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at att.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:15:01 -0400 (EDT)

> (And @@ NonPositive[constrMat . # ]) & /@ x;

That's a very fast way to do nothing, since "constrMat" is undefined.

A.x also makes no sense, since A and x don't have compatible dimensions.

There are a couple of ways to "make" them compatible, namely

a = RandomReal[{0, 1}, {3500, 3}];
x = RandomReal[{0, 1}, {2000, 3}];

a.Transpose[x] // Dimensions

{3500, 2000}

x.Transpose[a] // Dimensions

{2000, 3500}

(I shrank the dimensions so that I didn't get old waiting for results.)

Now the question is whether you intend 35000 inequalities, 20000, or
35000*20000.

I'm guessing the latter. That is, ALL entries must be non-positive in
EITHER of the dot products above.

If that guess is correct, we can speed things up by stopping when we reach
a failure.

Since Dot is a special case of Inner, we can do it this way:

Catch[Inner[Times, a,
   Transpose@x, (Plus[##] > 0 && Throw[False]) &]; True]

Here are a couple of examples with obvious answers:

a = RandomReal[{-1, 0}, {35, 3}];
x = RandomReal[{0, 1}, {20, 3}];
Catch[Inner[Times, a,
   Transpose@x, (Plus[##] > 0 && Throw[False]) &]; True]