Re: four dimensional plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91520] Re: four dimensional plot
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 05:06:19 -0400 (EDT)

You didn't give us any information as to what the function was or in what
sense the plot 'didn't work well'.

With a complicated numerical function f[x,y,z] it may be very difficult to
obtain a picture because it might be quite oddly 'shaped' and the
Mathematica plotting routine might miss important details. In a 3D contour
plot it might be difficult to pick suitable contours or a suitable plot
domain and range.

So you may have to use simpler graphics or even tables to 'explore' the
function before you can obtain a good graphical representation. You could,
for example take slices of the function by fixing z and using a
2-dimensional contour plot or Plot3D.

Depending on the nature of the function, it may take a number of
representations to obtain an adequate understanding of its behavior. Simply
trying to do a quick 'set-piece' plot of a complicated function will often
fail.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net