More Convenient Closed Input Cells?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91552] More Convenient Closed Input Cells?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 06:41:45 -0400 (EDT)

I'm interested in techniques for writing Mathematica notebooks so they look
more like classical textbooks or research papers. (Another posting on
generating Output cells with a Button was related to this.) Such technical
documents generally don't have Input/Output cell groups. And especially it
will often be nice to suppress the display of Input cells. One way to do
this is by closing the Input cell using the menu command Cell/Cell
Properties/Open. This makes the Input cell semi-permanently invisible.

This is all very nice, and I often use it. However, several people have
commented that it is difficult to select the closed input cell for
evaluation because it is so narrow. On the other hand it is nice that the
cell is so narrow because if we print the notebook it doesn't leave a lot of
space.

It seems to me that this is another notebook feature that is
well-intentioned and serves a necessary purpose, but still misses the mark.
What is needed here is something like a cell label that was displayed and
that could be selected, and that was large enough, and that could be used to
evaluate the cell. And we would want this object not to print just as cell
brackets and cell labels don't print.

(I know that we can also double click an Output cell and hide the Input cell
but this also leaves the Input cell exposed with the Output cells are
deleted.)

David Park

djmpark at comcast.net

 <http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark