Re: Copying text out of mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94018] Re: [mg93993] Copying text out of mathematica
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 00:41:32 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:01:25 -0500 (EST), Mariano Su=E1rez-Alvarez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is probably silly, but anyways... How do I copy text out of
> Mathematica (6.0.3, Linux) as plain text without the really, really
> annoying \ characters that Mathematica adds to mark line breaks?
> How does one control the line-length used by InputForm, for example,
> when doing things like
>
> InputForm@ StringJoin@ Table["a", {160}]
>

> Cheers,
>
> -- m

By default, copying Input or Output cells from Mathematica goes to a great deal
of trouble to preserve evaluation properties.  But to simply copy what you see,
just do Copy As->Plain Text.  Copying this way has an infinite width,
incidentally...so the only line breaks which will be copied are those which are
explicitly in the thing you copied.

Copy As Plain Text also has a keyboard shortcut, Ctrl+Shift+C (or Cmd+Shift+C on
the Mac).

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com