FiniteGroupData[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94258] FiniteGroupData[]
  • From: Mervin Hanson <mph1 at humboldt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 06:58:31 -0500 (EST)

I just loaded Mathematica Version 7.0.0 on my Mac running OSX 10.4.11 because I was interested in using
FiniteGroupData[]
to find some things, in particular, the CharacterTable and MultiplicationTable of chemically interesting molecules.
The command
FiniteGroupData[]
lists the names of point groups of interest but the command
FiniteGroupData["C3v", "CharacterTable"]
returns
Missing["NotAvailable"]

If I follow the link opened by
FiniteGroupData["C3v", "Information"],
it leads to a notebook for Cylic Groups that is not compatible with version 7.0.0

The site wolfram.com contains a large collection of interconnected windows on Finite Groups. One of those sites hinted internet connectivity might be required. On my Mac Help>Internet Connectivity ... opens a window that allows me to test the connectivity and I am ok.

Is this a bug or is it me?