Re: having V6 and V7 available?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94323] Re: having V6 and V7 available?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:48:59 -0500 (EST)

On 12/9/08 at 6:59 AM, wb at wavebounce.com wrote:

>I'm using a Windows XP box.

>When updating from V5 to V6 I tried to have both versions running
>but failed. Something in the system made V5 unusable after V6 was
>installed. Now I'm considering the jump to V7 but I don't like
>taking the chance that some V6 programs will no longer be usable.

>Are most users able to have both installations working on the same
>machine? If so, any tips on how to do it? I haven't run across any
>instructions for this yet.

I've had no problems whatever with having both version 6 and 7
installed. Nor do I expect any.

Unlike the changes from 5.2 to 6, the changes from 6 to 7 do not
appear to have changed anything at a fundamental level. It seems
the changes have been simply to add new functions in the kernel
rather than making more fundamental changes such as the way
graphics changed from 5.2 to 6.

I've not had to do anything special to make both versions 6 and
7 usable on my system. No changes to init.m files, no changes to
packages I've written and no difficulty using notebooks written
in 6 with 7.

Opening notebooks written or modified by version 7 in version 6
does result in a dialog warning that it may not function. But
I've not seen any problems as long as none of the new functions
introduced by version 7 are being used.