Did I trash Mathematica installation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94479] Did I trash Mathematica installation?
  • From: amannuc1 <Anthony.J.Mannucci at jpl.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 07:39:54 -0500 (EST)

In exploring ways to clear variables in all unprotected contexts, I
executed this command:
ClearAll["*`*"]

I now realize that was a bad idea. System variables were affected
also. I use Quit[] instead now.

Did I trash my Mathematica installation? The help function does not
seem to work as well. For example, the search function no longer works
uniformly. If I type "Lists" or "Expressions" in the top level search
window, nothing happens. The help still works at some level, but I
don't see search results for "related pages" anymore. The only search
results I get are results for direct function names. Most hyperlinks
work, but not all. Searching on non-function words does not work. It
just brings me back to the Documentation center main screen. The
hyperlink called "Installed Add-Ons" gives me an error message that
the file I tried to open was not found. I re-installed Mathematica 6.0
the usual way, but that does not seem to help. This is for OS X
10.5.5. I've done this twice. Any advice? Thanks.

By the way, I am trying to learn about init.m. I want to increase the
search path at startup. I placed the one liner below in a file called
init.m in the following directory
/Users/mannucci/Library/Mathematica/Autoload
but the path remains unmodified.

init.m:
$Path = Prepend[$Path, "/Users/mannucci/Documents/Mathematica/Lib"];

How does Mathematica find init.m? (The docs are not helping me here,
for the reasons mentioned above).

-Tony

--
Tony Mannucci
Supervisor, Ionospheric and Atmospheric Remote Sensing Group
Tony.Mannucci at jpl.nasa.gov
 4800 Oak Grove Drive,                   http://genesis.jpl.nasa.gov
 Pasadena, CA 91109