Re: Did I trash Mathematica installation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94513] Re: Did I trash Mathematica installation?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:45:49 -0500 (EST)

On 12/14/08 at 7:39 AM, Anthony.J.Mannucci at jpl.nasa.gov (amannuc1)
wrote:

>In exploring ways to clear variables in all unprotected contexts, I
>executed this command: ClearAll["*`*"]

I assume your goal here was to re-set things to be as they were
when you first started your session without actually quitting
and restarting Mathematica. If so, the package CleanSlate that
can be found at

<http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4718/>

is very useful for this purpose.

>I now realize that was a bad idea. System variables were affected
>also. I use Quit[] instead now.

>Did I trash my Mathematica installation? The help function does not
>seem to work as well.

I would not expect this to "trash" your installation. If simply
quitting and re-launching doesn't correct the problem, you might
try deleting the following:

~/Library/Mathematica/FrontEnd/6.0 Caches

or if using version 7

~/Library/Mathematica/FrontEnd/7.0 Caches

On occasion, after crashing Mathematica, I found this corrected problems.

>By the way, I am trying to learn about init.m. I want to increase
>the search path at startup. I placed the one liner below in a file
>called init.m in the following directory
>/Users/mannucci/Library/Mathematica/Autoload
>but the path remains unmodified.

>init.m: $Path = Prepend[$Path,
>"/Users/mannucci/Documents/Mathematica/Lib"];

The file that needs to be modified to add to the search path is
found at

~/Library/Mathematica/Kernel/init.m