Re: PlotMarkers Broken

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84536] Re: PlotMarkers Broken
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 05:32:06 -0500 (EST)

Jaccard Florian wrote:

> I'm afraid Wolfram has also completely forgotten useful things for
students. For example SurfaceOfRevolution.

> If you want to rotate around the x-axis, with 5.2, it was very easy :
>

> <<Graphics`
> SurfaceOfRevolution[Cos[x],{x,0,2*Pi]},RevolutionAxis->{1,0,0}];
>
> But with 6.0, you have to know much more maths... so the average
> student may not be able to obtain the surface!
>
> ParametricPlot3D[{x,Sin[x]Cos[\[Theta]],Sin[x]Sin[\[Theta]]},{x,0,2\[Pi]},{\[Theta],0,2\[Pi]},AxesLabel->{x,y,z}]

In 6.0 you can use the built-in function RevolutionPlot3D.

To revolve around the y-axis:

RevolutionPlot3D[{x, Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}]

It's a little clunkier to revolve around the x-axis, since inexplicably
RevolutionPlot3D does not have an option for setting the revolution
axis, which I'm hoping will soon be fixed in a future release. However,
in the meantime you can revolve around the x-axis by interchanging x and
y and setting the ViewVertical.

RevolutionPlot3D[{Cos[x], x}, {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]},
  ViewVertical -> {-1, 0, 0}]

My calculus students have no problem with this, and it's much better to
have a built-in function instead of having to deal with loading a
package (something they often forgot to do in past versions of Mathematica).

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont