Re: small init.m problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84580] Re: small init.m problem
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 04:37:39 -0500 (EST)

On 1/3/08 at 5:31 AM, JLK2941 at yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote:

>David, thanks, that works too. I guess I don't understand what use
>SetDirectory is if $Path specifies where files are to be found. HELP
>talks a lot about the "current working directory" but never defines
>what that means (that I could find). It seems that $Path defines a
>list of "current working directories".

The current working directory is the directory returned by
Directory[] and should be the equal to the value of
$HomeDirectory at startup.

The value of $Path is a list of directories that will be
searched when say loading a package using Get or Needs. This is
not a list of working directories.

You can get a list of system variables for various directories
by doing ?$*Directory. Clicking on the links will give you a
brief description of each.