Re: Version 6 graphics can be painfully slow

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84874] Re: Version 6 graphics can be painfully slow
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 06:59:59 -0500 (EST)

ref (me)

"Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> wrote in message news:...

> May be the FE tells the kernel to convert the Graphics to image format and
> the Kernel sends the image back to FE to display it, and so it could be
> the kernel at fault also. Do not know details of the protocol.

fyi, I just watched the Mathematica kernel during the Show[] command

In[3]:= t0 = TimeUsed[];
Show[p]
TimeUsed[] - t0

And the Kernel DOES get 100% CPU busy during all the time. So FE must be
sending the Graphics to the Kernel, and the Kernel converts to an image
format and send the image back to FE for display.

When I tried Graphics version 5, it indeed went very fast, the Kernel still
did some CPU, but the whole thing went very fast.

So, the problem seem in converting the Graphics to image format inside the
kernel for the FE to display it. They must have changed the algorithm or
something as such.