Re: Extracting points from a contour plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90409] Re: [mg90391] Extracting points from a contour plot
  • From: "W_Craig Carter" <ccarter at mit.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 07:48:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hello AJ,
Instead of giving a single command, these steps to extract what you
want may be instructive:
cp = ContourPlot[Cos[x] + Cos[y] == 1/2, {x, 0, 4 Pi}, {y, 0, 4 Pi}]

cp // FullForm

p = Position[cp, _Line]

lines = Extract[cp, p]

verts = lines /. Line[a__] :> a

points = Extract[cp, Position[cp, _GraphicsComplex]][[1, 1]]

points is a list {{x1,y1},{x2,y2}... and lines is a list of
connections between those vertices {{index1,index4,index6..},{...}}
(see GraphicsComplex)

Good luck, WCC

--
W. Craig Carter