Re: Labeled Plot not a Plot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90683] Re: Labeled Plot not a Plot?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 04:49:31 -0400 (EDT)

> >What do I need to do?  (I like using Labeled, and would rather not have
> >to give it up.)

> Here is one possibility:
>
> Export["file.pdf", Labeled[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, Pi}], Style["label",
> ShowStringCharacters -> False]]]
>
> Carl Woll
> Wolfram Research

Thanks!  That works like a charm!  [Bill Rowe, take note . . . ]

And once one knows that "ShowStringCharacters" is the magic incantation
that's needed here, one can go to the Built-In Mathematica Symbols entry
for ShowStringCharacters and learn that

   "ShowStringCharacters is typically set to False for
     output cells and True for input cells. "

And since Exporting to PDF might seem much more like an "output" kind of
action than an "input"-type of action (and since, at the user level,
someone Exporting something to PDF might reasonably think that they are
"exporting" what they see on screen), one might then suggest that maybe
the default value for ShowStringCharacters in an Export (or a
plot-labeling) action should in fact be False.  (WRI, take note???)

[And a purely curiosity driven inquiry:

Would a better or more precise name for this option be something like
"ShowDoubleQuoteCharacters"?

That is, does the term "string characters" as used in the computer or
typesetting or printing or semantic worlds have the narrow meaning of
the double quote character only?

Or does this term mean more broadly any character used to initiate or
end a string (but not, therefore, part of the string)?

My naive first reaction would have been than "string character" would
have referred to any character used _in_ a string . . .???]