Re: ImportString error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89254] Re: ImportString error
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:33:44 -0400 (EDT)

Grischika at mail.ru wrote:
> Hello.
> I have a problem with ImportString.
> In[]:
> ImportString["<data>Text</data>","XML"]
>
> Out[]:
> Import::nffil: File not found during Import[C:\Documents and Settings
> \=C3=F0=E8=F8=E0\Local Settings\Temp\000003a03560,<<2>>,FullChannel-
>> <<11>>[<<1>>]]. >>
>
> Import::nffil: File not found during Import[C:\Documents and Settings
> \=C3=F0=E8=F8=E0\Local Settings\Temp\000002a03560,<<2>>,FullChannel-
>> <<11>>[<<1>>]]. >>
>
> $Failed
>
> On other computer This works perfect. I believe thet it is becouse of
> russian folder's name in path to tepm file.
> So, the question is How to change the path to the Mathematica's temp
> folder? Or if there other means to solve this problem?
>
> Thank you!

Since this is obviously a bug, it might be worth reporting it to WRI.
Send them a complete notebook with error messages - which have become
garbled in your message. The most obvious workround is to write out you
data to a file using

str=OpenWrite[file];
Write[str,data];
Close[str];

and then use Import to retrieve the file. Obviously it would be better
to put the file somewhere definite in your file system - not create a
temporary file, which might simply re-create the problem!

It is amusing that Mathematica would seem to use the above method
internally as an implementation for ImportString!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk