Re: Default location for Exported files?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89295] Re: Default location for Exported files?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 05:37:05 -0400 (EDT)

In article <g237cp$q3c$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I prefer to save output relative to the notebook I'm using; I prefix
> all of my notebooks with
>
>   SetDirectory@NotebookDirectory[]
>
> This is much more pleasant than the old way of doing it before v6 :)
>
> Still have to ensure I don't switch between notebooks in different
> folders without re-running this line, but it's not generally a problem.
>
> Will

Thanks very much! -- This is the kind of very helpful, yet terse and
simple reply that newsgroups can be so effective in providing.

It also serves as a graphic illustration of what WRI _doesn't_ grasp
about user documentation.  Suppose the online reference for Export[],
and various other similar commands, contained just something like the
following note

      The location to which material exported by the Export[] command
      will be sent can be modified using the SetDirectory[] command.
      For example, preceding an Export[] command with

            SetDirectory@NotebookDirectory[]

      will cause the exported material to be sent to the same folder as
      the notebook containing the command.

A simple note like this would, in minimal space:  (1) educate the novice
user who's gone to the Export[] documentation for help that the whole
structure of Directory[] commands exists, and can be dug into if needed;
and (2) provide an immediately useful canned recipe for doing what many
such novice users will want to do, by providing an example that these
users can just grab and plug in, while deferring digging more deeply to
a later time.