Re: Re: Adding markers on the surface of a Plot3D?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89438] Re: [mg89427] Re: Adding markers on the surface of a Plot3D?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 06:19:52 -0400 (EDT)

You seem to be unable to grasp two fundamental facts.

1. Mathematica is "at heart" a programming language. "Fully
integrated" in this context means "fully programmable by means of the
Mathematica programming language". Although it is clear that you do
not care about that (and I am not sure you really understand what it
means) but it is important to those who develop various Mathematica
applications and, indirectly, to all those who use them.

2. The business model you are suggesting for Mathematica has already
been tried. I am not allowed to list names of "competitive programs"
here, but if I were I could produce quite a long list  systems that
have tried to follow exactly the approach you consider idea and as a
result their development has now been abandoned or they are available
as freeware and  developed by volunteers. You could even try one of
them yourself.

One of the reasons why Mathematica has not so far ended up in the same
situation is that it has chosen a completely different model, which
happens to appeal to much more important customers than retired
university professors.

Andrzej Kozlowski