Re: Re: Re: Show and 6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89528] Re: [mg89520] Re: [mg89495] Re: Show and 6.0
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 02:56:46 -0400 (EDT)

I, for one, regard Wolfram's "The Mathematica Book" as excellent, both
as a reference and as a tutorial.  I have always found it quite
readable, and indeed I am quite sure I have read through at least nearly
  everything in at least nearly all chapters. And the pages of some of
those chapters are very well worn.

The "Virtual Book" added to Mathematica 6.0.1 (or was it 6.0.2?) is a
reasonable substitute for that, although I still miss the convenience of
a bound book, and I still prefer the two-column code / comment layout of
all the examples in "The Mathematica Book".

One thing really missing in "the book" was the process of building up
larger applications such as might arise in practice.  But other books do
that.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305