Re: Gradient fill as Background for Plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89628] Re: Gradient fill as Background for Plot
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 06:14:48 -0400 (EDT)

You can use a DensityPlot as a background. But you may want to specify the
specific PlotRange so it will coordinate with the other plot elements. Here
is how I would do it with the Presentations package. We just draw the
background first and then put the other plot elements on top of it. Rescale
is a convenient method to control what values are fed to the color function.

Needs["Presentations`Master`"]

Draw2D[
 {DensityDraw[
   Rescale[-Rescale[x, {-1, 0}] + Rescale[y, {0, 12}], {-1,
     1}], {x, -1, 0}, {y, 0, 12},
   ColorFunctionScaling -> False,
   ColorFunction -> (Blend[{Yellow, White}, #] &)
   ],
  Draw[-1/x, {x, -1, 0}]},
 AspectRatio -> 1/2,
 Frame -> True]

For something more colorful you could try:

Draw2D[
 {DensityDraw[
   Rescale[-Rescale[x, {-1, 0}] + Rescale[y, {0, 12}], {-1,
     1}], {x, -1, 0}, {y, 0, 12},
   ColorFunctionScaling -> False,
   ColorFunction -> ColorData["BeachColors"]
   ],
  Draw[-1/x, {x, -1, 0}]},
 AspectRatio -> 1/2,
 Frame -> True]

Since you can make the DensityPlot anything you want you can have any kind
of background.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net