Re: a mathlink question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89636] Re: a mathlink question
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:38:04 -0400 (EDT)

GS wrote:
> I would like to call a C-program from Mathematica. All the examples in
> the MathLink tutorials (like AddTwo[i,j]) work like this: they are
> called from Mathematica, are executed, send the result to Mathematica
> and exit.
>
> I would like a C-program to not exit after the execution, and keep the
> memory of the previous inputs. Say, I want an external C-program, to
> be called as AddToPreviousSum[x]. When it is first called, it returns
> x. When it is called the second time AddToPreviousSum[y], it returns x
> +y. When it is called the third time AddToPreviousSum[z], it returns x
> +y+z, and so on.
>
> How do I implement this in C using MathLink?
>
> Thanks.
> GS.

Once loaded, your C code remains in memory - think of it as a set of
functions, and of Mathematica as the main program. Therefore, all you
need to do, is save information in static or file-scope variables, to be
used on subsequent calls.

You don't really want the C to keep executing - what would it typically
do - what you want is for it to stay in memory, which it does.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk