Re: Fonts in publication quality figures.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89653] Re: Fonts in publication quality figures.
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:41:30 -0400 (EDT)

In article <g32q90$c4q$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 6:12 am, Aaron Fude <aaronf... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I having all sorts of trouble with trying to get fonts to match up the
> > rest of my LaTeX document in publication figures.
>
> You might look into psfrag on the LaTeX side.  This allows you to
> substitute arbitrary text strings in your figure with LaTeX commands
> that are typeset and placed at that point in the figure.  As a result,
> the fonts in the figure match perfectly with the containing document.
> This has worked for me in Elsevier journals, at least.
>
> Mark

Added note FWIW:

You can open a single-page PDF document, or any single page of a
multipage PDF document, in Illustrator; edit it; and re-save it as PDF.

In particular, there is then a Find Font command under the Type menu in
Illustrator which will let you make a global replacement (global on that
page, anyway) of all characters on that page that are in font A with the
same characters in font B.

I've used this to replace Mathematica fonts with other fonts available
on my system in vector graphics images that were originally created in
and Exported from Mathematica (although I'm realizing as I type that I'm
not sure I've ever done this with such a figure after it's been
incorporated into a page of a LaTex-typeset PDF document -- seems as if
it should still function with the typeset page, however).

Should also work with EPS pages, I'd expect.