Re: How complete a TeX system is Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89632] Re: How complete a TeX system is Mathematica?
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:37:16 -0400 (EDT)

Like you I got fed up with Scientific WorkPlace a few years ago, and then
planned to switch to Mathematica. However, I discovered that Mathematica
does NOT do LaTeX without a lot of extra work by the user - this is still
true nowadays. What you need to buy is Wolfram's Publicon
(http://www.wolfram.com/products/publicon/index.html) which does all the
LaTeX you want, and then lots more besides.

In February 2008 I asked Wolfram technical support what sort of effort they
were making in updating Publicon (which is still at only version 1.01,
though very good despite its eccentricities), and I got this reply from Yan
Zhuang:

"...we're still working on publicon. We all got sidetracked trying to finish
M6, but now we're starting up again. We are actively coding a 1.1 release,
and after that we will be integrating it into Mathematica as a paclet to
exploit v6 features, and also as a stand-alone app, Publicon v2."

Well, that sounds quite promising. I especially like the promise of improved
integration with Mathematica, because currently you have to be quite careful
when transferring unusually formatted material from Mathematica to Publicon.

I never regretted making the switch from Scientific WorkPlace to Publicon,
and I really look forward to the Publicon/Mathematica unification.

Stephen Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

news:g2qhdd$8kb$1 at smc.vnet.net...