Re: Save as LaTeX

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89756] Re: Save as LaTeX
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:29:04 -0400 (EDT)

ben wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> Mathematica offers the possibility to save expression in latex format (TeXForm
> or Save as: Latex).
> However, source code is produced which is almost unreadable (although
> it produces the
> right output).
> For example, I get output
>
> \text{h0}^2.
>
> How can I tell Mathematica to just write
>
> h0^2
>
> and leave all the post-formatting to me?
> I really do not understand why Mathematica tries to do already some formating
> on the formulas.
> I thought this functionality of TeXForm was designed to copy large
> expression from Mathematica
> directly into my texts. But then I have to change layout, format, etc
> of the formula anyway to match it with the rest of my document. So all
> Mathematica formatting is useless anyway, in fact it makes post-processing
> really difficult.

Hello Ben,

Mathematica does this because the variable name was longer than one
character.  In the front end it formats 1-character variable names in
italic (as usual in standard mathematical notation), but uses upright
characters for longer variable names (which are almost never used in
maths books).  The LaTeX output just tries to match this formatting.

If you use Subscript[h,0]^2 (convert to StandardForm first) instead of
h0^2 then the LaTeX output will be h_0^2.